Blog List

Monday, January 31, 2011

Learning Profiles


I am a Gestalt learner with a J Learning Profile. I am right hemisphere dominate, meaning I like to focus on the bigger picture, and not pay attention to smaller details. The problem is that I need to focus on the details MORE and engage my left hemisphere. The LOGIC side can be engaged by making lists and prioritizing. Paying attention to smaller details will help too. I tend to learn best when the bigger picture is recognized from the beginning and I have something to work towards. I tend to remember whole concepts. I am spontaneous when relaxed, and under stress I act clumsy and cautious.
In order to become more well rounded as a learner, I need to engage my logic side more, so that I can participate even more in class. I can do this by communicating details in addition to the bigger picture. To engage BOTH sides of my brain, I can use both sides of the body, I can breath on both sides in swimming, I can practice dribbling with my left hand in basketball, or work on my left hand roles in percussion. I can also practice reading and following through instructions more. The CPR unit in health is really helping me with this because it must be followed through in a specific order, but there is also room for judgement- a perfect combination to improve my learning capability.
As a gestalt learner, I tend to not pay attention to step by step instructions unless I know where they are leading me. In order to keep myself focused during these step by steps, I may need to sit closer to the front, or in line with the board so I can stay zoned in. I would like my teachers to know that I really try hard to perform my best in everything that I do, but sometimes I just get tired of performing my hardest and get really lazy for a period of time. Then when I'm all rested up, I jump back in the game. Im not sure how my learning profile can reflect this, but I know that my grades reflect it. I think the periods of time when I grow really lazy tend to co-exist with the periods of time when I am extremely stressed out. My learning profile says that when I am stressed, I am clumsy and stuck. In that case, I think my learning profile DOES reflect my grades. I am not making any excuses for my performance habits in school, I am just simply noting two things I know, my performance habits, and my learning profile.
I learned a lot from the learning profile activity. For example, I actually make an effort to pay more attention now that I know it has something to do with my learning style, not that the material is boring. I also make an effort to engage both sides of my brain in several activities, like in basketball I am trying to dribble more with both hands, and in percussion I am practicing more with both hands as well. I am also engaging both sides of my brain. On school assignments I am taking more notice to the instructions and step by step teachings, and this is actually helping me improve my grades.
In short, I would just like to say that my learning profile has really helped my understand myself as a learner. I just hope that now that my teachers are aware of my habits, that they will have a better understanding of my performance habits.


No comments:

Post a Comment